Virgin Coconut Oil, popularly known as VCO, is different from ordinary coconut oil. It is produced by wet method using coconut milk, unlike coconut oil that is produced through dry method from copra or burnt/fried coconut. It has become very popular in alternative health circles, despite the fact that for many years it was considered a “bad” fat due to its high saturated fat content.
However, it turns out that the saturated fat in coconut oil, especially virgin coconut oil, is not the same as the saturated fat in other oils.
It contains medium-chain fatty acids which are much easier on the body than the long chain fatty acids found in many other cooking oils. It also contains several compounds that are good for your health, including phenolic acids, caprylic acid, capric acid, and lauric acid.
1. PROMOTES WEIGHT LOSS: Because it contains short and medium – chain fatty acids it helps in taking off excess weight. It is easy to digest and it increases the body metabolism by removing the stress on the pancreas thereby burning out more energy.
2. IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT: It strengthens the immune system as it contains antimicrobial lipids, Lauric acid. Capric and caprylic acids which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
3. PREVENTS HEART DISEASES: VCO contains 50% Lauric acid which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. It does not lead to increase LDL levels and also reduces the incidence of injury in arteries and therefore helps in preventing artheriosclerosis.
4. DIABETES MANAGEMENT: Helps in controlling blood sugar, and improves the secretion of insulin. It also helps in effective utilization of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes.
OTHER HEALTH BENEFITS
– Promotes hair growth and free of dandruff.
– Used as an excellent massage oil for the skin and to treat various skin problems such as Psoriasis, Eczema and dermatitis. It delays wrinkles and sagging of the skin, thus prevent premature ageing.
– Controls blood sugar and improves the secretion of Insulin.
– Dissolves kidney stones.
– Boost energy and, endurance, enhancing physical and athletes’ performance.
– Protects from damaging effect of UV radiation from the Sun.
– Reduces viral susceptibility in HIV and Cancer.
– Used to prevent hepatitis, Pneumonia and UTI.
– Relieves of symptoms of Crohn diseases, Ulcerative colitis and stomach ulcer.
– Promotes Cardio Vascular Health
– Thyroid Support
– Staph Fighter
– Oxidative Stress: Studies shows that VCO is effective with treatment of alcohol-induced oxidative stress.
– Wound Healing and Stretch Mark Prevention
– Stomach Problems such as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, and indigestion.
– Dental care, bones, pancreatitis, kidney, and liver health.
Virgin coconut oil has been found by many people to be beneficial for digestive system and it also assists in nutrient absorption within the body.
30mls ( 3 tablespoonfuls) daily to be taken by mouth or mixed with food.
15mls (3 teaspoonful s) daily for children